Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog #4 - Should We Slow Down?

Blogger Steven Anderson recently wrote some of the same thoughts that I have been thinking.  Steven's original post can be found here: http://bit.ly/wPjumr


I’ve been treading water to try and get through “Educational Technology Boot Camp” and have immersed myself in learning how to use myriads of “apps” and Web 2.0 technologies.  As I near the end of the course, I’m trying to take a minute to step back and reflect on what I’ve learned, how I can apply my knowledge to increase student achievement, and whether or not this technology is necessary. 

In his March 4th, 2012 blog entry, Steven comments:

“Technology exclusively can't change learning. You can't put 30 iPads (or Chromebooks, laptops, IWB, or whatever type of technology you can think of) in a classroom and in an instant learning gets better. It just does not happen that way. It takes a lot of stepping back, looking at the why's and the how's and deciding on the direction to go. And even before devices hit the hands of kids, there has to be lots and lots and lots of PD on how access to these tools in the classroom changes the way we teach.

Lets just slow down, and think, is buying this the best decision for me? Or for my students?”

Although this is only a short excerpt from his post, many of his comments struck a nerve with me.  He begins with “technology exclusively can’t change learning.”  I agree.  Technology is a tool that teachers can use to enhance the learning environment.  The technology itself will not teach students, it will help them learn but it won’t plan lessons and grade papers and give feedback (at least not yet).

Teachers must know how to use the technology in order to use it effectively.  This brings me to the next comment that Steven made: “even before the devices hit the hands of kids, there has to be lots and lots and lots of PD on how to access to these tools in the classroom changes the way we teach.”  It seems like many districts are spending thousands of dollars purchasing tablets and iPads and other devices to implement pilot programs in classrooms. They are doing this without the professional development and technology infrastructure in place to support these initiatives. 

Should we slow down after all?  Or should we acquire the technology and drive forward?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment